On Friday night, I had the scare of my life. I was on the futon with J. and had just laid him down on it when I heard that sound the phone makes when it's left off the hook. Call it fatigue from working 10-12 hour days this past week, or just plain stupidity, but I left J. on the futon "for just a second" while I grabbed the phone from my desk (about 3 feet away).
Wouldn't you know, he decides at that very second to roll over for the first time...right onto the floor. I heard a thump and then screaming, turned around and I swear to God, my life flashed in front of my eyes. My heart started racing and I got that crazy adrenaline rush you get when something really bad is happening. In that moment, I was the most terrified I've ever been.
He screamed for a few minutes, and I cried as I ran to my husband to tell him what had happened. But then, J. was fine. I watched him like a hawk for hours afterwards, looking for signs of head trauma, but there was none.
Thank GOD my beautiful boy has a head as hard as mine. I certainly learned my lesson and from now on, I don't put him anywhere above ground without strapping him in good and tight.
You will never hear me rag on Britney ever again, because it can honestly happen so easily. Even to the most careful and loving of moms.
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You know, sometimes I think God has it in his grand scheme of life for all new moms to do what you did--- just leave the baby for a split second and the baby falls and gets a little hurt but not too badly. I think He does this to remind moms to be diligent when it comes to supervision of their child.
No worries though... it seems to happen to ALL moms at one point or another. I mean, think of how far we've come in regards to safety--- did our moms really think their arm flung across our chest was really going to keep us safe in the event of a collision?? LOL!
Besides, why do you think God makes babies fat? It's so they can handle all the little bumps and tumbles and falls along the way until they can walk!
(And just for the record, I think you're a fantastic mom!)
Thanks, I needed that! And I think you are absolutely right! :)
xoxo
Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure it just scared him rather than hurt him.
Let's rethink the ragging on Britney... you would never put Jake in the wrong car seat. Or ride around with curlers in your hair.
Or go into a gas station bathroom barefoot.
My doctor told me his baby rolled off of something onto a TILE floor. It really does happen to everyone. Hang in there...I know you have a lot on your shoulders right now.
Thank you for being so honest about this moment - it's a good warning for everyone.
Cory, you are absolutely right. Maybe I will re-think the whole not-ragging-on-Britney-thing.
Thanks for the positive support, everyone! Trust me - I could not have been more freaked out or upset. You all make me feel better.
Post a Comment